Thursday, November 15, 2012

Which Bible in 2013?

I'm a read-the-Bible-first-thing-in-the-morning kinda guy, and have been for a while. The routine still works, still has a freshness to it, doesn't get *too* interrupted at this stage in life.

That said, in the new year I think I'll make a change: it's time to read a different English translation. The trouble we have in English isn't in finding one good translation, it's the challenge of choosing between a bunch of good ones. So which one next? For the last couple (?) of years I've been reading the Holman (HCSB)--so not that one.

Some options:
  • KJV - King James Version
  • NIV (2011) - New International Version
  • TNIV - Today's New International Version
  • NLT - New Living Translation
  • ESV - English Standard Version
I'm leaning toward the King James, actually.

8 comments:

  1. I'm curious as to why you change? Given your list I can see its not about having the _most_ accurate _most_ of the time, (although as you say- granted we have a bunch of excellent translations) and so I suspect its about a fresh 'voice' or something where the pros of change outweighed the cons... So what makes you change up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, freshness is the reason to change. And that's partly because a fresh voice actually helps me notice things I hadn't before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should totally go the King James! In fact, maybe I should too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The NIV (2011) is very similar to the old NIV, so probably not much freshness there. I reckon the ESV. Dad's been reading that recently and he's impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... Thanks Nathan. I do really like the NIV (1984) and it's probably the most familiar to me of any of those listed. So, as you say, probably won't be 'fresh' to my ears.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Bernie, good question. I've just bought the NLT for some new Christians and it both fresh and pretty good for accuracy (as much as KJV in the end given textual issues).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Depending on how good your Greek is, you could always go for GNT when you hit NT. that'll be fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Stan, the GNT would certainly be fresh--the question would be pace: how much I can read in a sitting (both for my understanding, and for coverage of the Scriptures over the year). I'm already reading just a little bit of Greek/Hebrew as part of my routine, too. But don't reckon I could make it my 'bulk' reading at this stage.

    Re the NLT: nice. I always like it when I read it. Perhaps it would do me good to go for that more functional end of the spectrum.

    One out of left field: Robert Alter (!)

    ReplyDelete