Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Why you should Focus on the Wrong Things

Welcoming guests, getting in touch with them afterwards, and then helping people 'break-in' to our church community, are things we've been working at recently at Crossroads. And that's meant a whole host of small changes (and many more to come).

But what I'm discovering is this: it's only when I focus hard on making one thing happen, that some-other-thing that gets me really excited comes into view. And if I'd never put in the effort on plan A, plan B would never have come to light.

Example: I've been trying to devise a 'response card' (or 'contact card', or...) that I'm actually happy with. Finally I go the wording, the layout, the everything, just right. But then Good Friday came along, and I realised that I didn't even want a response card. What I wanted was a Guest Book--something I'd never even thought of before. But here's the thing: the guest book took me about ten seconds to produce, because I'd done all the thinking on the response card.

I focused on the wrong thing, and the right thing came into view. I'm very happy with the result.

Check it out here.

4 comments:

  1. Cool reflection and awesome idea Bern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And... your blog is super-awesome. Plithy, engaging, wise and creative. You absolutely must write more often :).

    ReplyDelete