Sunday, November 6, 2011

Forgiveness v Brooding

Ken Sande makes this little comment on forgiveness in his book The Peacemaker:
“Forgiveness is a choice, a decision you make by God’s grace in spite of your feelings.” (p, 202)
The above comment comes in the context of an example that's pretty powerful. Forgiveness, in that case, worked itself out in this:

“I promise never to think about your sin again, or to dwell on it or brood over it. I promise never to bring it up and use it against you. I promise not to talk to others about it. And I promise not to let this sin stand between us or hinder our relationship.” (p, 202).

Forgiveness in action. I'd do well to think that way more often.

4 comments:

  1. Well. I don't know what the context is here. But promising to never "think about your sin again" seems both impossible and, depending on the context, dangerous.

    And I can think of lots of reasons as to why a decision to "not let this sin stand between us or hinder our relationship" would be very unwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Al - you're absolutely right :) Even in it's context, I'd say it's kinda reckless, overstated. (Although I think it's intended to effect a rhetorical shock).

    Having said that, while I can think of *some* cases where such a course of action would be unwise, I'm struck by my own inclination to invent reasons to withhold forgiveness for truly minor infractions--cases which (numerically) constitute the majority of my experiences of forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course.

    But my concern here is that Sande is adopting a one size fits all guide to forgiveness, which I've heard some people promote. And, as I say, it's both impossible and dangerously unwise.

    But I do take your point about the minor infringements. I think we use them to justify our own selfishness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, he's pretty prescriptive in terms of method.

    It's got the advantage of keeping our forgiveness in the eschatological frame of God's primary forgiveness.

    But--as you've pointed out--it lacks touch with the complexity of life, with the attendant risks of such over-simplification.

    ReplyDelete